Protecting What's Yours!

Andrew W. Gilliland Attorney-at-Law, PLLC
782 E. Pioneer Rd. (12400 S.)
Draper, Utah 84020

(801) 285-0886
Experienced Salt Lake Adoption Attorney
I LOVE DOING ADOPTIONS!  They are a special day for everyone!

I will provide for you services to terminate the birth parent's rights and to complete the adoption process.  Specifically, I provide the following services:

  • Terminating the birth parent's rights
  • Obtaining custody for the adoptive parents
  • Preparing the final adoption documents
  • Attending any hearings
  • Step-Parent Adoptions
  • LDS Family Services Adoptions
In most cases, the process starts by obtaining a consent to terminate parental rights from the birth parent(s).  It is important that this document be properly prepared and signed at the correct time.  The adoptive parents will need to obtain a Pre-placement Home Study (not necessary for a step-parent adoption), a BCI criminal background check, and a child abuse background check with the Utah Division of Child and Family  Services. A paternity registry search also will need to be done.

An adoption is a great day for all involved if done right.

Please contact Andrew W. Gilliland Attorney-at-Law, PLLC to start your adoption today

Andrew W. Gilliland
782 E. Pioneer Rd. (12400 S.)
Draper, Utah 84020
Tele.: (801) 285-0886

South Jordan Adoption Attorney -- Helping You Add to Your Family!

The basic steps for completing an adoption are as follows:
Finding the Right Child to Adopt.  This can be done through an adoption agency, foster parenting, or other social institutions such as LDS Family Services.  IF YOU USE AN ADOPTION AGENCY MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE FOLLOWING BEFORE YOU SIGN THEIR AGREEMENT

  • What are the fees that you are going to be charged?  Make sure you understand the fees that are refundable and not refundable.
  • What type of background vetting do they do on the perspective parents?  In selecting a child, you will want a thorough medical history so that you can make an informed decision and prepare for any foreseeable medical issues.
  • Under what circumstances can the mother back out?
  • What services are actually provided?  Will you need to obtain an attorney to go to court?  Will they be preparing all the legal documents for you?
Terminating the Birth Parent's Rights.  You will need a court order stating that the birth parent's rights have been terminated.  The simplest way to do this is to have the birth parent's sign a consent that is notarized  and file it with the court.  A birth parent's rights can also be terminated by requesting a hearing with the court.

Obtaining a Pre-Placement Home Study.  Utah law requires that before a child is put into a home, there must be a pre-placement home study.  What this means is that a third party licensed to conduct these types of studies will run back ground checks, visit your home, and otherwise make sure that you are suitable for adopting the child.  In a step-parent adoption, a pre-placement study is not needed. 

Getting Custody of the Child.  In a step-parent adoption custody is not the issue.  In other adoptions, because Utah requires a six month waiting period to finalize the adoption, you will need to get temporary custody of the child so that you can make the important decisions such as medical for the child.  Absence temporary custody, you are a legal stranger to the child and cannot access medical and other crucial information.

File a Petition to Adopt.  Each adoption must be court approved.  The court can only work on the case when a petition to adopt is filed. The filing fee for the petition must be paid as well.  In a step-parent adoption, a hearing to finalize the adoption will be set when the petition is filed.

Obtaining a Post-Placement Home Study.  Before the six month period expires, you will want to have a post-placement home study conducted to show the court that you are indeed suitable to adopt the child.  This will need to be filed with the court.  Some courts like the person who did the study to show up and testify in court, but this is not always the case. 

Attend all Hearings.  You will be given a hearing date to finalize the adoption.   At the final hearing, the parties are sworn in and asked basic questions regarding their understanding of the adoption process and will sign a consent to adopt in open court.  The Judge will then sign the Decree of Adoption and the adoption is finalized.  After the adoption, a report of the adoption is sent to the Utah Office of Vital Records and a new birth certificate is obtained for the child. 

Please contact Andrew W. Gilliland Attorney-at-Law, PLLC to start your adoption today

Andrew W. Gilliland
782 E. Pioneer Rd. (12400 S.)
Draper, Utah 84020
Tele.: (801) 285-0886

    Script embedded in HTML

    Website Builder